Black Business Month is not only a celebration of Black entrepreneurship but also a glimpse into racial disparities in America. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Black-owned businesses make up 10% of business in the United States (U.S. Census Bureau, 2016). As Northeastern University continues to support Black Owned Businesses across Boston, we’re spotlighting a Black Business owner who is a Northeastern alum. Kurt Fraser worked in traffic and civil engineering for over 25 years and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering in 2001. In 2010, Kurt received his Master’s degree in Transportation Engineering from Northeastern University and founded his business, Fraser Poly Engineering Services in 2009. His business specializes in both small-scale civil engineering and larger traffic network planning and engineering. We spoke to Kurt to learn more about his journey, achievements, and passion to give back:

Q: What sparked the idea to start Fraser Poly Engineering Services?

Although I have worked for the town of Brookline for over 16 years as an engineer, developing and implementing various infrastructure improvement projects, I have always had a desire to work for myself and to make a significant impact on a community, similar to the one in which I grew up. In Graduate School, I met an African American business owner, Greg Janey, who inspired me to follow through with the desire to develop and manage my own firm. I started Fraser Polyengineering Services in 2009, and over a decade later, Greg and I continue to collaborate together on various ventures. Therefore, the idea to start Fraser Poly Engineering Services was sparked by my own desires to serve communities of color as an engineer and having role models, who inspired me to do so.

Q: How do you feel like your business has been able to make a difference and contribute back to the community, including the Black community?

The vast majority of the projects that FPES has performed serve communities of color. For instance, we have been the engineer of record on many affordable housing projects in Dorchester, Mattapan, and Roxbury. We have also worked on park improvement projects in Boston, Framingham, and Charlestown.

Q: What other projects are you most proud of and why?

There are many projects that we are immensely proud of at FPES. Two projects that stand out are the Malcolm X Park in Roxbury, and the Haitian Multi-Service Center/Catholic Charities of Boston. It was a pleasure to play a role in the renovation of Malcolm X Park, which will create a more inviting facility for the residents of the Roxbury community. This work also provided me with the opportunity to meet a member of Malcolm X’s family, who continues to work to keep his legacy alive. Working with Catholic charities on improvements to their food pantry in Dorchester also brought me immense joy. As a young man growing up in Brooklyn, I remember how the services provided by the local Catholic church, Saint Teresa’s church, were beneficial to my own family. Therefore, having the opportunity to work on projects that directly impact communities of color resonate greatly with me.

Q: What are some challenges you’ve faced while creating your business?

Starting a business typically requires a huge investment of time and capital. It has been challenging to make significant investment of time and money in responding to Requests For Proposals (RFPs), while not knowing if you will receive a contract to conduct a project. It has also been challenging finding personnel, who can address the needs of our clientele, as well as embrace the culture and values of our business. The pandemic was also a huge challenge for my firm, as we experienced a significant decrease in revenue. However, we have “weathered the storm” and see things improving for my firm.

Q: What advice do you have for students interested in starting a business?

Patience is important. Networking and getting your name and brand out there are major aspects of the firm’s success. I would suggest that you join as many relevant associations as possible, and use resources available at state and city agencies, colleges and universities that can help your firm grow. Most importantly you have to have a passion for what you do and preserve the values and identity of your business. Finally, I would advise students not to be afraid to make mistakes to the point that it hinders their progression.